So I'm using my new Mac for this post and hubby beside me is happily on his learning curve with the MacAir as he's a newbie. ( iPads and iPhones don't really set you up for a full on Mac). His other PC laptop died after only six months, which is just crazy. Its a lot of money to be out after a few months, not to mention the aggravation factor! The Apple conversion in this house is now total and complete! He was a tough nut to crack but like water on rock....... :)
I had four or five cones of 8/2 (or 2/8) tencel sitting on my desk for some time. Old gold, mineral green, taupe, Pompeii, and slate gray. There was something about the colours that drew me and they seemed to just go together but what to do with them? I wanted to use all of them and try to keep the colours separate and distinct if possible. I spent much time looking through old drafts, old samples looking for inspiration. Then in a stack of old drafts which I call my 'some day' pile I found a 6 shaft reversing 2/2 twill. Then I found some similar colours in my Fiberworks. Not accurate but close enough for me.
Aprox 200 ends, 24 epi and 6 yards in length. I wound the warp and it hung around awhile waiting its turn, but at least it in the queue now!
After the ombre scarves came off, the warp went on and Bruce was there to help. Here he is all set to use his new trick of a pvc rod in the paper roll to stop it from going wandering while being wound on. It really seems to help!
Then I used my usual lacing on and two stick start. It really reduces the loom waste. I only nip off the knots later and all that becomes my twisted fringe later instead of going into the trash bin or thrums bag (which I don't keep).
I checked for mistakes, prepped my floating selvedges and got busy. It met all my desired criteria of keeping colours separate and altogether, fully reversible, and having visual impact but simply done. It sure looked better than I expected!
There was a nice 'melding' of the colours, which are all of a similar value and depth of shade. The black dividers nicely pop the colours, as well as the little boxes shine through.
I wove two in these colours and I can't say how important pressing is to the final wet finishing at the projects conclusion. Its the shine on the apple. I hope you can see these two examples clearly.... maybe enlarge it to see better, either by clicking or spreading with your fingers. One scarf is washed and dry.... the other washed, dry and pressed.
The cloth becomes softer, more drape to it, beautiful sheen, and ready to go somewhere!
Showing the length.
Here the fold has been turned to show the reverse side.
I was thrilled with how they turned out! So I wound another warp to do it again.... next post will be the second warp and how getting excited about weaving again, did me in :( But I'm doing okay and ready to start again but in a more sedate fashion. More tortoise, less hare.
Speaking of rabbits, I hope you had an enjoyable Easter.