The first part of the process for the shawl was detailed here. The weaving was straight forward and the repeats added up quickly. The Louet Spring is such a nice little loom to weave on. Very enjoyable! I like to listen to podcasts while I weave and I like to think I'm getting smarter by the program. Shows like "Stuff You Should Know", "Stuff You Missed in History Class", "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History" and my favourite " Under the Influence by Terry O'Reilly" on the impact of marketing and advertising on us all today. Oh, yeah... and music too. :)
Once off the loom, I evened up the fringe allowance and pinned it out on the board and then got to work!
I decided to twist the band fringe first and so had to get creative with the colour arrangement. The solid turquoise sections went quickly using the four clip Leclerc twister. The smoothest twister to use is still the Forsyth model though.
I had gone through all my beads and pulled together many that I thought might work. I even had a trip to Beadworld in Victoria to pick up some rich deep purples Swarovsky crystal beads. Very sparkly! I didn't just get those of course... others followed me home naturally...
I snug the the bead strands tight but they do loosen a bit after washing. They are viewable from both sides of the shawl. Some of the main colour beads came close to running out and so had me sweating a bit! I did a trip to the bead store again to get a refill but they aren't carrying them anymore. I was glad my little stash held out for the completion! Seems they are carrying a very complete selection of Japanese Delica beads so there will be interesting hunting in the future! (Maybe I was a magpie in a former life? :)
Once that task was complete (with the trip and the baby shower as a break between ends), it was laid to soak in the laundry tub. I squeezed the shawl thoroughly to help shift the threads into their positions, rinsed it and rinsed once more with a drop of scent free liquid fabric softener in the water. I spun it out in the washing machine and then hung to dry on a pvc rod suspended from the ceiling overnight.
I pressed it hard using steam and the transformation from bumpy texture to ultra smooth and silky always amazes me each time I reach this step of finishing a project. Its the reward for all the work! I used a rotary cutter and mat to trim the tassel ends neatly.
I dressed up Madge in a fresh clean black turtleneck and pinned the extra cloth out of the way. (My next studio helper will come with arms to hold shawls better. In a more natural way... but in the meantime, Madge will have to do!)
Its hard to see in my photos, but there is a lovely iridescence. Usually this appears when there is more plain weave involved, but its there with the twill!
This picture shows it a bit:
So the next shawl has the same threading of M's and W's, the same tie up but I'm changing the treadling from 'weave as drawn in' to the complete reverse of this and all the 8/2 tencel colours will be all new....
.... I'll be back soon! Happy Spring Equinox! We woke to a skiff of snow today....