Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Welcome to Thrums....


To my regular readers:  We have house guests visiting here today so help me clean up and make the place look ship shape. I'm participating in a "Grow Your Blog" event today, January 19th. It is generously hosted by Vicki at 2 Bags Full. If you visit Vicki's blog you will find a list of the participating blogs and perhaps find some new ones too.

 The visitors are  blog owners from all over the world! They all have different themes and interests and so I'm hoping that by visiting here, we can introduce them to the wonderful world of Weaving....



So for my visitors, Welcome!

My name is Susan and I live on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada. I have been keeping this blog since January 2008.  I'm a weaver and have belonged to many guilds since 1996 and people kept on asking me to share what I do when alone with my looms. Weaving is a solitary craft and so the guilds were a wonderful way to socialize and learn new things, that you take home and work with there.  The whole idea of standing at the front of a workshop and teaching scared the beejeesus out of me, so I felt the blog would be a viable alternative.

I like to weave what some might call 'complicated pattern work' and usually I work with finer yarns and natural fibres such as cottons, silks, silk blends, tencel and alpaca. The blog post immediately below this one shows a recent project I shared with my readers of snowflake twill scarves. A lot of my recent projects, all woven in the past two years, can be viewed at my Etsy page. Please note that I'm not trying to sell to you, but simply this will give you an idea of what I like to weave. All the pictures are in one place there!
 My weaving also includes beading...  (My other interests are spinning and I dabble occasionally with bobbin lace. Come spring, I'll also dig out my dye pots and dye silks and tencel.)

linen and cotton book marks ~ 2 inches wide by 8 inches long

Weaving grew from an interest, then into a passion! My studio space  is full of looms, yarn,  and while not perfect, its a delight to go into my space and work there!  I have three main floor looms plus a table loom. While the looms look intimidating, they aren't really... 

Me, weaving blankets for our new grandson on my large loom this past spring.
So what will you see if you scroll down and around?  Well, on the right hand side bar, under the heading "Topic Shopping" are various  weaving related topics and links to older posts where I usually have covered a given subject matter off, and normally with lots of pictures.   I use lots of pictures and all pictures shown here are mine, unless otherwise noted.

Kitchen towels under way on my smaller floor loom.
Below that are more recent blog posts that are enjoying larger viewing numbers. These are also a great way to take a deeper look at what is covered here. You'll see our recent Christmas  visit with our new grandson is shown. I do cover some personal stuff as well and our Airedale Calli always manages to get a nose or foot into the shots!

Scrolling further down some more you'll also find a blog list of 200 +/- of my weaving, spinning, knitting, and dyeing friends from all over the world.  These links show women and some men, either near or far, who are actively engaged in a fibre activity and sharing their adventures (granted, some more than others!)  You might find it useful to book mark my page and come back to visit my other friends at a later time?  I quite often see on my traffic feed that a visitor comes and uses the various links to enjoy some time looking at other blogs from here. That's just what I had in mind when I set this list up.

My table loom at a workshop 
 If you wish to contact me, please click on my name in the profile (above right) and there is a link for email.  I hope you enjoyed your visit here.... please come back again.

Silk and seaweed blend and tencel shawl; snowflake twill.

32 comments:

Grufti said...

Liebe Susan
ich geniesse die Besucher bei dir immer. Deine Sachen sind so schön und ich komme gerne immer wieder hier her.
ich wünsche Dir einen schönen Tag
liebe Grüsse
marisa

Carolyn ♥ said...

Such talent you have! I am in awe. So nice to "meet" you!

Laurie said...

Wow -- what an artist you are with three looms and all those wonderful "how to" posts! Thank you for keeping the art alive! Your detailed weaving is just beautiful!

Elizabeth Johnson said...

Susan, I am impressed beyond the words to express it. Your weaving is incredible and beautiful. Thank you for joining in on the party. ~Elizabeth

EvalinaMaria said...

You have a lovely blog and a very interesting hobby. My grandma had a machine looking just like yours and she was making most wonderful things. I'm a new follower. Have fun at the 'Grow Your Blog' party!

Evalina, This and that...

Padre Wayne said...

Susan!
My raffle prize towel arrived and it truly is a prize! The colo(u)rs, the draft, the finishing -- all are so splendidly done! Thank you, thank you. Guests say, "You're not really going to use that to dry dishes, are you?" And I say, "Yes. That was the weaver's intention." :-)

DH and I did measure to see if it could be turned into a vest - alas, not quite enough yardage. But you might consider that!

Again, Susan - thank you for the towel, and for being a constant source of inspiration and encouragement.

Susan said...

Marisa said (in German):

Dear Susan
I always enjoy the visitors with you. Your stuff is so beautiful and I come here again like always.
Have a nice day
love greetings
Marisa

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Susan, I am so thrilled to find you-a weaver-weaving has always been my passion since the late 70s but work and other things were always in the way. retired now I am so hoping to seriously get back into it-I have some towels on my small loom now, but want to get my old rug loom set up-so excited to meet you Kathy

bspinner said...

As always I enjoyed reading your blog. Its so true. Weaving is a very lonely craft. I once belonged to two guilds but no more.
I look forward to reading your next blog posting.

Socrates said...

I just missed you then. I was living in Nanoose Bay up until last summer. I do beading too, but not quite the same as what you do. If you have a minute, come and see my blog, and enter for the vintage lace book giveaway. See you soon!

Lelia said...

i am new to your blog. You weave WITH BEADS? How interesting! Who would ever have thought to do that.

You are an inspiration. I look forward to coming back frequently - i have tried a little bobbin lace, mostly doing tatting and reading and needlework. My friends weave - and have spectacular projects.

Enjoy the day

Weaving Rose said...

Lovely weaving! I hope to someday have such skill. Best wishes on the Grow Your Blog even too. I'd love to learn more about it.

Weaving Rose said...

I want to add that I love your blog and am learning a lot from it. Thanks for all the work. And it does make me dream of someday owning a Louet loom!

Anonymous said...

Susan, beautiful post as always! Love the towels on the smaller loom, care to share the draft with me?

Hugs to you and Miss Callie.

The Sage Butterfly said...

Your weaving creations are just lovely. So nice to meet you through the Grow Your Blog party. Your blog was a pleasure to visit.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I am in awe of the beautiful weaving you do, I especially like the snowflake shawl. Nice to visit your blog from Ontario through the GYB party.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i have a friend that works with a loom. just amazing the work you all do.. so fun to see & watch. enjoyed looking about. please stop by my blog when you can. take care. ( :

Susan said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! A big welcome to my new followers...

Martha: I dug through the older posts and found the story and draft there for you..

http://weeverwoman.blogspot.ca/2008/11/humming-along.html

Its a sweet draft that looks like ribbons. Sorry but I don't seem to have it saved as a WIF but you could right click and save the picture... then zoom in.

Susan

Lady Locust said...

Wow! An amazing loom and amazing talent. I just got a loom, but have to 'clean it up a bit." It's not as large as yours, but I have never woven. I just love it though so decided to take the plunge so will be learning. Thank you for sharing - I just became your latest follower.
Smiles,
JoeyLea
PS - I have a stitching blog if you would like to take a peek.
http://thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/

Veronica Roth said...

Hello Susan, my fellow West Coaster! :) I'm visiting from GYB. Love, LOVE your weaving! One day I want to try that too. Several years ago I had a Malamute who shed so much fur that you wouldn't even believe it. (And then I went and got a second one...what am I like?) Anyway, a lady asked for the wool and I very gladly obliged and she spun it and knitted from it. What fun. I live in North Vancouver for part of the year and in Oxfordshire, England for part. I know a lady there who uses flax to weave the most incredible cloth. I'm off now to go explore more of your wonderful site.

Terri said...

Wow Susan! Your blog is amazing, and so is your weaving! I so enjoyed reading your post and seeing you sitting at your loom. You are an inspiration!
Hugs,
Terri
artfulaffirmations.blogspot.com

Made.by.Fay said...

What beautiful work! I'm so glad I found you through the Grow your Blog party. I will visit often to enjoy your creative efforts.

Blessings,
Fay

Anonymous said...

I am awed by your talent. Weaving looks so complicated compared to my quilting.
It is great to meet you through Vicki's GYB party.

If you have a chance, please drop by nonniescedarchest.wordpress.com

Joan - South Island, New Zealand. said...

Your work is inspiring. Weaving is on my 'todo' list. It seems pretty much out there at the moment. You are welcome to visit my N.Z. blog I love visitors.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, what a beautiful skill you have cultivated for yourself. I love the intricacy of your work! I am planning on learning to spin this spring/summer and start raising angora bunnies for my fiber habit, LOL! I just became your newest follower and look forward to a proper visit once the GYB party winds down.
Till then,
Hugs,
Beth P

Jan Thomason said...

oh,my goodness.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

your bookmarks are incredible! visiting via Vicki's GYB Party and enjoying your blog and your beautiful weaving.

kareninkenai said...

Your weaving is the most exquisite I have seen. Please stop by if you haven't already and sign up for my giveaway. (I'm tardy because my motherboard died and went to the grave!) But, I have a replacement now! Hugs from Alaska. Karen

www.alaskabluemoose.blogspot.com

Elderberry-Rob said...

Hello Susan - what an unusual craft you have - wonderful work and so delicate and complicated. It looks as though weaving is a big commitment - no half measures! Nice to meet you. I am following you. Betty

Unknown said...

Well this post certainly hit the spot !! Great to read all these comments from the GYB party. I'm sure you will have inspired some new weavers !

mybearsnme said...

Beautiful blog! I so want to try weaving - even have the loom! lol, just no time yet to do that ...I found you through the blog party - if you need a giggle - come and visit me at
http://leftoverchocolatestitches.blogspot.ca/
:)

Denise said...

Hello from Texas! Susan, your weaving is so very stunning. Gorgeous. I would love to be able to see it in person...to touch it. Absolutely gorgeous.

I have become a follower of your blog and look forward to visiting often.

blessings, denise :D