Pages

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Trials and Tribulations



Well, I did warn you some time ago that there will come a day when the medical stuff going on in my life will start to really squeeze out the weaving part.... and its beginning...

In the last month I have had three dental appointments, and seen my family doctor twice, my rheumatologist once and recently my surgeon again. Its been a very busy time and will be ongoing for  awhile.



I had a three hour root canal this past Tuesday and I'm still in the recovery phase and not chewing on that side of my face.   I'm a "white knuckle flyer" in the chair and on the day, so  I took some ativan and brought my iPod along.   I plugged in my ear phones and listened to some favourite music... loudly.... and just lay still. I reckoned the orthodontist could do a faster job if I kept quiet.... and I did a good job of it.  I even started to fall asleep once!  They got it all done and even a permanent filling in place, so no return visit or two.  (We won't talk about the two crowns I need now....)



Then two days later I saw my surgeon for an important appointment.  Bruce came in with me and we had a discussion about my two cranky joints and which goes first.  They are both equally painful now and both need medical intervention and it was decided to go with replacing my right hip as its a major weight bearing joint and the left knee will be next year, approximately June to August possibly.



I've been down this road before as I had my left hip replaced in 2001 and so know full well what is ahead and we have been busy getting ready. There are a lot of helpful aides that you need to set up: raised toilet seat, walkers, a reacher, crutches, a cushion to raise your spot on the coach or chair, and a bath bench.   You need comfy clothes for coming home in,  and going to rehab. We have been ticking off things on the list. Why the hurry?   Well, they have moved my surgery up to December 4th and that's not all that far away.  

So add in getting Christmas done early (such as it will be) and there is an air of urgency !

Coming up this week is yet another Doctor visit and a three hour education class at the Joint Replacement Clinic.  It doesn't leave much time for weaving and quite frankly, sometimes I just sit and read a book to take my mind off everything.  Between the knee and hip and dealing with pain.... and some time down the road, there will even be a foot surgery, it can all get a bit much to deal with.   Weaving keeps me sane and is my "carrot" to dangle at the end of all this!


If you made it to here, then you deserve some fibre content!    I've been playing around with my Fireworks program and came up with this: (click to enlarge)



I saw in my mind's eye,  scarves in three types of fine silks: silk yak blend is the grey, silk and camel is the gold, and 30/2  bombyx silk is the cream, with a sett of 36 epi.  Soft natural colours.

Its tough for me to stand in one spot for too long so winding the warp took time, especially  with all the colour changes!  I did bits and pieces as I could and Bruce helped me wind the warp on. 

Today,  I worked the new tie up with the loom up on her crates and made a start!


The two stick start means you get busy right away.


This is a close up of the sample for my records.


I laced on to reduce loom waste... it is silk after all! I plan to weave one scarf like the sample with all yak silk weft, and then maybe try my silk plaid arrangement for the second?  Or find another weft yarn?  I'm just happy that the loom is back in action and I can sit and weave when time allows!


Bruce took the pictures of the Japanese maple today while the sun shone. This magic colour is such a brief period in time and I wait all year for it!


Here's one that I took a few years ago and the leaves seem to  float by themselves in the air!

6 comments:

barbara said...

Hi Susan - you have been very busy with medical appointments; and now you know, the hip comes first and the date is December 4th - enough time to get prepared. You and Bruce are so organized, you will be really prepared; and not a whole lot of time to dwell on the upcoming date. I wish you well with your surgery. Your new scarf project looks very interesting, and I am anxious to see the finished project, all washed and pressed - love the pattern. I wish I was closer at hand to "lend" a hang; you have a great caregiver in Bruce. All the best.
Weaverly yours ..... Barbara

Louisa said...

Those scarf colours look lovely, Susan! I'm becoming a huge fan of the naturals. They're just so sophisticated and elegant.

Best of luck on your surgery and hope all goes well!

Laura Fry said...

Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to the loom. :)

Acorn to Oak said...

Wow! You've got a lot going on! Great idea to bring headphones and music for dental work. I have some coming up and may try that. All the best to you with your upcoming appointments and procedures. Happy Weaving!

msvos said...

Tanking of you Susan. Love the latest weaving project. Wishing you the best with your upcoming surgery. I love how well you and Bruce pull together. It's a sweet example of a good marriage. Laurie

Peg Cherre said...

Sending you my weaverly good wishes, Susan. And the scarves are boootiful!