Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2019

Chances

I like to pair up cones of yarn to sit on my desk together..... and just look at them. Usually they have similar depth of shade where are both equal in intensity of colour.

I like to watch them in different lights, natural or home.....  at different times of day.
Some get put back in the closet and new ones come out to play this game.

Coppery Pompeii (8/2 tencel) sat side by side with Amethyst for a couple of months while I made up my mind.  Would the copper over power the purple?   They are technically opposites on the colour wheel. Would they just go 'blah' when woven together?



Apparently not! In this balanced, reversible six shaft crackle weave (no tabby) they hold hands quite nicely.   As nice as Fiberworks is for design, colours and all its bells and whistles, sometimes you simply have to put the real colours together as real threads and see what happens!




This picture above and below were taken when we enjoyed a brief patch of sunshine, then.....


... the sun slipped behind a light cloud and the light was more diffuse and look at the difference below.   No camera flash  and on automatic setting 'landscape' on my DSLR.   The iridescence becomes to the fore front and it changes the colours entirely.  Its has life and glow.    

All because I took a chance and committed some real yarn in the game. 


The second scarf is nice too.  I went for a tried and true neutral classic, black.  It gives good pattern definition and will pair up nicely with suits and top coats or other more formal clothing. It can also be for a man as well. 


But why do I feel I should have gone back to my stash and tried something else?  This was a safe choice. Copper is a difficult colour to work with and I've been trying to think what else might have worked.   Dark teal?  Navy blue?   This will be another project at another time...


Whether its colour, weaving structures (or even our lives in general)..... you have to be willing to take chances, a risk. If it doesn't work you learn from it and move on. In weaving, you simply lose some yarn or string. Its not the end of the world.  

When it all comes together, you can really feel it.  Your first thought is "how did I do that?" and "how can I do it again?"   That would be that inner voice or gut instinct that I over rode as I reached for the cone of black instead.    ðŸ˜³




The second run of fencing was completed this past Monday and it looks and smells great!   There are approximately three to four neighbours in a row all getting shared fences replaced and the air is full of fresh cut cedar.


A neighbourhood cat was surprised in our yard by Hubby yesterday and it took a leap for the fence to make a getaway..... and was somewhat surprised by the five foot tall fence when it used to be a shorter four feet.  A rather elaborate gymnastic display ensued where much dignity was lost!  

The raccoons are not going to like it either then!

But we sure do!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to say, Susan, that while you're not as proud perhaps as you might wish to be with the colors on the second, also gorgeous scarf, I noticed a similar copper color where the sun strikes your new cedar fence and the shadows on the fence are, well, black. So while someone built your fence, you wove a scarf to match!

Hildred said...

Beautiful colours and lovely weaving, - you inspire me!

Diane B said...

If you are looking for another 'unsafe' option for a copper warp, try turquoise. Its makes a lovely combo.

Susan said...

That's a fascinating suggestion Diane B ! I'm going to haul out some cones and take a look at that.... thanks!
Susan

Martha-Irene Weed said...

Do you sell your pieces?

Martha.weed@marthaweed.net (Ignore the Gmail address below. Please.)

Susan said...

Hi Martha-Irene Weed

My handowvens can be found for sale at Etsy.com and the shop name is ThrumsTextiles.

Thank you for your interest ! Susan