Pages

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Velvet Opera

I think I'm in love....   with this colour!


Its called #42  Velvet Opera and came from Treenway Silks


The fine 30/2 black silk came from Sanjo Silks.


Its a Canada - USA collaboration here on my Dutch made Louet loom. 
The silk most likely came from China and India. 


Its a slower weave but its fun to watch the pattern build. 
I think my client is going to find it hard to gift this scarf away!


I have done some on line shopping and bought a couple of rare end delivery shuttles via a friend.   I have been trying to find an English Crossley shuttles for several years now.   They stopped making them in 2006 and rarely come up for re-sale.  AVL bought out their remaining stock and released AVL shuttles that used Crossley hardware and shuttle blanks and I have two of those.... but no genuine Crossley's


This one is roughly fifteen inches and I have ten wood based pirns. Its big and heavy and for a fly shuttle.   I'm going to have to get my fly shuttle set up on the Megado and give them a whirl!


The second shuttle is smaller, lighter and could be used on a regular loom despite the metal end caps. Its eleven inches and uses these  lacquered cardboard pirns.  I have ten of those too.



As you can see both are in beautiful condition  and only the larger one shows a bit of wear.  I can't take any credit for the linen huck lace weave cloth in behind the shuttles. That towel was a gift from dear friend and weaver Wayne Nicholson.  Its currently in the "too good to use" phase right now as I admire it in my studio.


I also found a gently used copy of "More on Mormon" by Heather Lyn Winslow. It takes Theo Mormon's work and takes you in to more general use for hand weavers. It has some dated pictures of 1980-1990's fashions but the techniques are timeless.


So just a short update today.... and I'd best get back to weaving this lovely scarf !

1 comment:

Peg Cherre said...

That scarf is a stunner, all right!