Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Adding Things Up

When you are weaving away on 9.5 yards, treadling one up to eight and back to one endlessly, you tend to go on autopilot and you can do a lot of singing along to music or simply thinking.   Things like: how many picks to an inch?
How many picks to 36 inches?
Gee... how many in this total project?

... and the big one.... how many miles have I woven in the past 25 years?  


So when I finally finished my 8 towels woven to 36 inches each on the loom and one runner that eeked out the last of the warp at 43 inches, I sat down and crunched some numbers:

  • 8 towels and one runner equals 332 inches or  9.2 yards woven on my 9.5 yard warp.
  • I averaged 22 ppi - or a total of  8047 pics total.
  • physical weight of finished project : 1.334 kg or 2 lbs 15 oz
  • That's 537 repeats of treadling the pattern repeat which has a count of 15
  • The only unwoven parts of the loom waste was 3 inches plus knots at the start and 13 inches at end, plus 6 inches for part of the fringe on the runner when I started it.   The final  fringe at the end of the runner came out of the loom waste..... so effectively I had only 10 inches of loom waste for the entire project! 😁 I had factored in 3 inches of take up for every yard woven.
  • oh, and half a box of Colour Catchers in the wash water as that red (cerise) wanted to run!


8/2 cotton from Brassard's: 6 colours in the warp and  another 4 used as weft.  Sett was 24 epi.


With black weft. (above and below)


With white weft.


Then I used a kaki green weft and loved the effect! It somehow worked with all the colour groups beautifully. I also used a plum colour but didn't get a picture of it on the loom under way.


Here's the end of the warp right up to the back of the heddles. I couldn't get another half inch !


There was a very satisfying "chubby roll" on the cloth beam, as I like to call it,  but it actually only was 1 1/2 inches. Well, it looked good to me!


Here's the loom waste from the start, plus the knots which is minimal.


....And the final loom waste from the end and remember that 6 inches of this will be fringe for the runner.


So the final fringe length on the runner after twisting was 2 inches plus the tassel and looks marvellous on our dining room table. Hubby was so pleased it was staying.  I'm also keeping a black weft towel and a kakhi green one.



Some one jokingly (I hope!) asked me why I had a jelly fish on my table.



Next are the 8 towels, all were woven to 36 inches and after relaxing off tension, washing, pressing and then turning a hem allowance and hand sewing, they are measured up as 20 inches by 30 inches. They all  pressed up nicely on my Singer press.


Three black ones


Then two with kakhi green weft. Its my personal favourite.



Next up are two towels with white weft. They are crisp and clean, with the stripes adding nice punch of colour, but you lose the zig zag pattern stripe.



Then finally the plum weft with is Hubby's favourite. It melded the colour groups too but not quite as effectively as the kaki green did, in my opinion of course.



I have kept fairly decent records of all my woven projects since 1996 and I could sit and work out some rough numbers and get an approximation of my last question which was of how many miles have I woven. Tempting as it is, I'm not going to spend the time doing that.

I'd rather be weaving new projects!

2 comments:

Lynnette said...

Wow Susan, those numbers are impressive! Being a closet number cruncher, the idea of knowing how much I have woven is tempting, but I too shall resist, but I'll bet it is mind boggling.

I'm with you in that I love the khaki green weft and frankly it is one I never would have tried, but darned if it doesn't do amazing things to the pattern.

I'm always impressed with your weaving and this project is no exception, the tea towels are lovely and so fresh looking.

Isabella said...

I'm so impress !!! This is beautiful work .... Unfortunately I only have a 4 shaft, but i'll try to make something from your pattern. I'm in love with your color !! Bravo .. this is amazing work :)