Pages

Friday, November 15, 2019

Art Deco Diamonds


So in a few short weeks, it will be 2020 and a whole new decade. Roll the clock back 100 years and it was the start of the 'roaring 20's'. The world shook off the whole WW1 thing and partied, and enjoyed life again. 

Think Great Gatsby, the discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922,  flappers and the Charleston, jazz bands and speak easy's, bobbed hair, cloche hats and shorter skirts.   

I also think of Art Deco.   This unique form of architecture and style started prior to to WW1 but came into its own by 1925  at the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts held in Paris in 1925.   One American classic building example is the Chrysler Building on the east side of Manhattan.

In Vancouver, BC, its the Marine Building which was completed in 1930 right after the Great Crash and the start of the Great Depression. It cost 2.3 million to build (in the dollars of the day I might add, and had a cost overrun of 1.1 million) and was sold off cheap for $900,000.   I have been in this building and its amazing! There is literally something unique to see everywhere you look and the front entry way and the elevator doors are works of art. 



We even have an art deco theme with our dining room set with a 1930 replica table. 



So imagine me spotting #68017 at Handweaving.net and seeing these classy art deco diamonds:


Soon this draft was in my weaving lineup... and then on the loom!


There were some slight modifications for an edging and border made by me.  This is 10/2 black tencel, sett 28 epi and 8/2 tencel in Pompeii as weft.  I can't say I recommend weaving black warps at  this time of year!  I had lights all around the loom as I threaded and sleyed the reed. Its so darn easy to leave a dent  or  to double sley.


For the second scarf I used 10/2 tencel in a colour called Tussah from Textura Trading from my stash.  All my 10/2 dyed tencel is precious as you can't get it any longer. Only undyed tencel, and I'm not set up to dye my own at this time.


The diamonds wove up just a smidge smaller this time but interestingly when I measured the small inner diamond (or box if you turn your head sideways), the box measured perfectly square in box scarves regardless of the size of the weft yarn used. I can only assume my beat was correct for both!


Now they have been finished for awhile but this time of year with its rainy dark days have not been conducive to taking photographs.  It brightened up a bit today and the sun almost made a full appearance  so I dashed and snapped this pictures.  We have a week's worth of wind and rain ahead according to our weather forecast and I didn't think you or I want to wait another week for a blog post!  😳


My Favourite of the two scarves.  They measure 8 inches by 72 inches.






One take away from finishing these scarves was that manipulating the fringe twister is playing  merry heck with my arthritic wrists and fingers. I'm using a quad fringe twister currently and I seem to twizzle  a lot of fringe over the course of a year. So how can I maximize my efforts and get more done with less effort?

By ordering one of these!


I'm looking forward to giving this big girl a whirl soon and I'll report my findings back here. I'll be able to do a total of 5 doubled bouts at a time.   I'm going to hang onto the quad for now as a back up.

You know, they even make one that has 20 clips!  Nice to know you can upgrade your ride!

4 comments:

Lynnette said...

What a wonderful pattern! The two scarves are utterly lovely and your beat shows the pattern to perfection. This post was such a good read too.

Susan said...

Thank you Lynnette.... I trying to be entertaining ! 😁

Unknown said...

I just got the 20 clip twister and have tried it out on some scarves. 10/2 cotton, 16 epi. Bit of a learning curve. I found that the fringe was spaced closer than the clips so if the first fringe I clipped in was straight, the 3rd would be slanted and the 4th was worse. Makes even tensioning impossible. You'll see what I mean when you try it if you haven't already. Fortunately, it's an easy fix. You just clip all the fringes that are enough in line with a clip to be mostly straight, twist and knot those, then line the twister up with another set and repeat. It's still loads faster than the little twisters, just requires a little more thinking.
I sent a suggestion to the maker to offer a clamp set up for the longer twisters like they have for the 4 clip ones - it would need two clamps for the length, but it would help with the wrist fatigue you can get using it long term. May have to improvise something.

Susan said...

I guess my instincts were on the money as I thought 20 would be a stretch too far for finer weaves. Thank you for your very helpful feed back on your experiences. I have 4 scarves between two looms in progress right now, so some practical use of the 10 clip is coming up soon.

My Hub has tiny shrink tubing and I may add some to the tips to help with grip.

Thanks for writing!