Pages

Monday, December 16, 2019

Dark Dahlia

This post really started in the Fall when late blooming flowers such as dahlia's are in the gardens still.  They are so lush, and so colourful!  When we lived further south near Duncan here on Vancouver Island, there was a property by the main road where in the fall a table would appear with jars filled with fresh cut dahlias and a sign that said $4.00 a bunch. This invariably would go up in price as the years passed and the popularity of the flowers increased. I watched the dahlia beds get larger as root stock was divided down and new colour varieties added.

I liked to photograph them at their peak:



Then, in the summer of 2016 when we were heavily engaged in packing and getting ready to move, the lady gardener added a new colour that was stunning!   Sadly I didn't get a picture, or the flowers, before we moved.   I went on-line and looked at the various varieties available with a view of maybe adding some to our new gardens here.   I found this picture that is very close to the special one from the roadside garden. Her flower was a bit darker and not so tightly packed.


Sort of a cross between these two.  


I have woven colour gradations before in this colour range and also another project where I used four or five shades of blue. The Mac version of Fiberworks has this feature and I have played around with it  and its getting easier to create some interesting colour plays. So with the rich dark dahlia in mind I used 8/2 tencel in black, eggplant and red-purple (which I call magenta) and created this 16 shaft draft.  It looked fine both front and back.... another nice feature to use before committing yarn to the loom.


But.... there is no replacement for actual yarn on the loom!



It has the central glow I was looking for but it was overly dark and broody. Too much black.  I also had a problem with sleying the ends as I kept on missing dents and practically had to put a 'search light' on the reed to see what I was doing!  Seems darker cloudy days and a lack of natural light and a dark warp really don't go together well.

I only wove one repeat and there it sat while I tried to figure out how to redeem this problem child.  I went back to the draft and kept the threading the same, as its already in place, and tried different tie up's and different treadlings.    I removed all the old weft threads and then tried this draft below for the first scarf, using black as my weft again.  It has a better balance of plain weave and twill areas and so a better chance at being reversible and having the light play on the twill floats to show the pattern. Its still dark, but has the central glow I wanted like the flower.


On the second scarf I decided to use the eggplant colour as my weft. It worked well to soften the black areas, define the centre and pull it together. The colour shifts actually flow better.  I tried another treadling variation using the same tie up:


The pattern repeats are lengthy; well they are when your joints hurt, and so weaving went slowly for me. I have been having trouble with arthritis in my feet and last 'good' knee so had to take some off days to rest.  Its also a busy time of year so there have been many other domestic distractions!  πŸŽ„


I used my new 10 clip fringe twister I showed you last post on the finishing  of the scarves.   Did it save time?  Well, yes.  Setting up the bouts to the clips really takes the same amount of time overall, whether its four or ten, but only having to turn the clips for a total of five bouts of fringe is faster than only doing two. I'm glad I didn't get the 20 clip model as the angle of the ends would be too extreme.  It would be fine for someone doing blanket fringe or a project that is equally wide as the twister, but not for finer weaving.   I'm happy with it!  Its nicely made, smooth working and I like the handle end.  You can find it for sale here


Here's the first scarf on the fringing board with freshly twisted fringe flipped up as I worked along.   They were washed and pressed and then sat as we had day after day of heavy cloud, some wind and rain and no sign of the sun.  Lights on in the house even at midday.   What you need for a project like this is brighter natural light as the flash on the camera bleaches out the colours, creates 'hot spots' and generally makes things difficult to capture. 

So yesterday it brightened up and even a few rays of sunshine and I dashed for my camera!    They will have to do and if I still have them come spring, I will reshoot again in better daylight. 




I'm hoping the various pictures will show a better range of pattern and colours!




Then we have my personal favourite, the eggplant weft scarf.  I might just keep this one for me!





Thank you for being patient with me as my posts squeak in at a minimum lately. There are other projects to come  and are underway.  Its seems I'm not as fast a weaver as I was but hopefully the quality makes up for it!

For my long time readers who have followed along with the arrival of my grandchildren.... I present Ethan (age 7 1/2)  and Madison's (age 4 1/2)  2019 Christmas picture.  Don't let those cute faces fool you.... they both can 'kick butt' at Brazilian Jujitsu now.   πŸŽ„πŸŽ…πŸ»πŸŽ







6 comments:

Peg Cherre said...

Your work, as always, is STUNNING!!! I love how you use color in your work, and your careful selections of pattern and texture.

Question - although you say you used a different treadling for the eggplant weft scarf, they look the same on the drafts posted. Are they so similar I'm missing the difference?

Susan said...

Hi Peg.... thank you for your kind words. I guess it would have been better to say 'similar treadling, because they are close. The first scarf (with black weft had a treadling count of 178.... and after I made some changes, it dropped to 90 something. It made it easier somehow to know the 'end was nearer' and I could take a break. 😊

Merry Christmas!

Peg Cherre said...

Wait-there are 3 drafts in this post. Numbers 2&3 look identical to me. Number 1 we can only see a bit of, but in looking at the drawdown, I’m now assuming that’s the one that’s different. Right?

Susan said...

Peg... I believe I say that I tried draft #1 and didn't like it (too dark) so I took the weft out and went with draft #2. Then I made slight modifications to the treadling and wove up #3.

Hope this helps...

Dianne said...

Stunning work. The sheen on the tencel is amazing. I just bought my first tassel winder (to save my arthritic fingers) with ONLY 4 clips. Didn't know they came with ten. Mind you the clips hurt my fingers so much that Peter has glued one cent coins on the clips and they work a treat now.

Susan said...

The new 10 clip fringe twister has some rather stiff alligator clips that I'm struggling with today.... so the idea of adding 'penny paddles' is a great one! I'll talk it over with Hubby.... and see if we have any pennies in the house. Canada did away with the penny! So maybe a dime or ten cent piece instead? Thanks!