Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

A Fresh Start 🌱


🌱 So this doesn't look like much, and it isn't,  but its been a long time coming.  5-6 weeks in fact.   For a time it felt like I'd never weave again but I knew it would just take time and heck of a lot of patience. A bad back is a miserable thing. 

This is a repeat project of a scarf I wove last year and it sold very quickly. So quickly that I had a customer literally plead with me to make another for her.  The trouble was, the weft yarn was unavailable and I had to hunt for a suitable alternative.    A big thank you to Susan at Treenway Silks for her patience as we found the right shade and happily, the colour is a regular in her colour line up.   Spiced Cognac. 

I finished weaving scarf number 1 for the client, then had the muscle spasm or whatever hit me, and so spent time slowly twisting fringe as I was well medicated and it was finally mailed away.     Then the loom has sat waiting until I  sat down today and  retied on again, and wove this beginning.     

This time,  the scarf is for me!   I actually don't have a scarf that I made after all these years.   Trouble is, I also don't have anything that I can wear with it so I'll have to go shopping.    Darn.   😁




During the time off from weaving I had a birthday and I also received a gift around the same time from another weaver in Illinois.     Last year I sold my entire multi year collection of Complex Weaver Journals to Vicki. A very large and very heavy box was mailed away and it appeared gift wrapped under the Christmas tree to herself.   😉🎁     Vicki had just acquired a 32 shaft loom and so was eager to get tucked into the journals.

Then in mid March, she sent me this lovely 32 shaft non-parallel interleave towel as a gift!     The second picture shows both sides of the towel.    I joked with her that my kitchen towel drawer is full of my seconds and shorty ends of warp specials.   Its nice to have a full sized, perfectly woven towel to celebrate my new induction cook top and  convection wall oven with.   The old ones gave up the ghost at Christmas after 27 years. Rather inconvenient timing to say the least!



During my enforced time off from weaving I enjoyed my Hansen e-spinner  and got a lot of spinning done and the resulting plying. This led to an overhaul of all my hand spun yarns with measuring yardage accurately and making records. Something I have had on my to-do list for a long time.   I also got lots of paperwork caught up and even spent time with Hubby.   So taking the break from weaving was okay in the long run and now I feel refreshed.    

I will ease back into the saddle as I don't want a repeat of my back issue, but take more time to smell the flowers..... it is spring after all!  🌱




 

No comments: