I belong to a weaving group on Facebook called Strickler in Color. Its where weavers share a draft they have woven based on the book and their interpretation and colour choices : The Weaver's Book of 8 Shaft Patterns by Carol Strickler.
Friday, October 22, 2021
Saturday, October 9, 2021
A big cage.... and only two little budgies? So we brought home two more..... ( and that's it..... for now). Blue and Jay were squabbling. Well, Blue was being a persistent 'romeo' and Jay was not having any of it. We decided that there needed to be more to balance things out. It was a gamble that so far has paid off. They are not fighting and Blue seems to be basically ignored by his harem. In the wilds of Australia they fly in flocks of thousands! (Their natural wild colouring is green.)
So Blue and Jay now have roomies: Kiwi and Teal. So far, so good! See if you can spot who is who.
The ride home with them was fabulous. Warm Fall day, that gold sunshine of this time of year and we took the oceanside route. Then we spotted a rainbow and pulled over to take this short video. Excuse the road noise.... maybe watch with sound muted. There's even some driftwood art.
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! 🍁 🍂 🎃 🍗 🍽
Tuesday, September 28, 2021
Yes, I'm still here..... Its been a while hasn't it?
I don't have any weaving to show you. 😳 Oops, I just heard half of you leave.....
Its a few things really....
I seem to have lost my weaving mojo. A friend said after me weaving non stop for 25 years it was bound to happen and not to beat myself up over it. Our doctor said everyone ( and she means everyone) is dealing with low grade depression thanks to the never ending pandemic and the Fourth Wave.
I also pulled a muscle in my right shoulder blade area and its not settling down. Its past the worse phase now but as the day progresses, it aches something fierce. I'm on familiar terms with icepacks and Tylenol. It also keeps me up at night. This makes throwing a shuttle difficult. I want it to heal properly and I also want to weave again soon. I can't wind warps due to the up and down motions to the warping mill either. So I have been using my Hansen e-spinner and enjoying that for short periods.
Then there is also the mystery of the reoccurring toe infection that prevents me from treadling. Gee, aren't you glad you stopped by for all this whine 🍷 to go with the cheese 🧀 ?
We have two new members of our family! Meet Blue and Jay. Yes, after the baseball team (Hub is a huge fan)
Sunday, August 22, 2021
About a week ago I uploaded these pictures getting ready to write a blog post. I was blissfully ignorant of the trials and tribulations ahead. These have become the last pictures I can access on my computer until I find out if my back up drive has them or not.
Let me back up here.... (pun intended) 😊
I set up my computer that night to do a back up to an external hard drive and woke the next morning to a back up (great!) and a whole new operating system on my Mac "Big Sur" (really not great).
That's when I discovered a few things.
- all my Fiberworks drafts have vanished. (over 500 of them)
- Big Sur won't run a computer dobby and the weaving program developers have no work around and no time line of when they will. Apple isn't helping them either.
- All my 6000+ pictures of family and my weaving were in iPhoto and Big Sur won't support it and so they appear to be all gone too.
- I have a fresh back up on my external hard drive!
- it may have all my photos and a tech *might* be able to locate and shift them to Photo.
- failing that, I have saved emails with all my scanned old family photos.
- Between this blog and ravelry, I can get a lot of my pictures resaved again.
- Its all going to take LOTS of time if the tech can't find and save them first.
- updated the latest version of Fiberworks that will 'shake hands' with Big Sur so I can at least do some design work. It won't however run my Megado....
- to get some thing to run my loom, I needed a Mac with an older operating system on it like High Sierra or Mojave on it. Every OS after that got difficult as Apple made subsequent changes.
- it just so happens my Hubby has an older 2013 Mac with High Sierra on it...... and subsequently was traded my shiny brand new MacBook Pro (2020) with Big Sur for it.
💻 😳 🖥 ⌨️
Okay, enough of my woes and wailing. Let's get to some weaving... This is the scarf project on the Spring loom and just getting started. A rather large size diamond pattern that was approx 7 inches in length for a full repeat. Its 8/2 tencel in amethyst for warp and Pompeii for weft. I really wanted to see this colour combination together and it seems to work nicely. The draft is from Handweaving.net #74014. There is a partial draft at the very end.
Saturday, July 24, 2021
So.... the big reveal!
Our painter came by yesterday to finish off the final touch up's and double check the work. We sat in the back patio and enjoyed a coffee together and also met his delightful daughter who is going to be his helper on the next job. Poor guy must be careful of his back and pinched nerve but he swears he's ready to work again.