Take heart those of you who are snow bound and cold.... spring *is* coming! And if you are from the southern hemisphere, the summer party is coming to an end (sorry).
|The white hellebore lifting its head up from under the leaf mulch. All of an inch tall.|
|The pink hellebore is up one and a half inches...|
|The heather starting to bloom...|
|The magnolia buds are swelling|
|I know the second part of this plant's name is Japonicus....but it has flower buds forming!|
So things are in limbo here as well. I have an alpaca silk warp on the Louet for two men's scarves. Its a four shaft twill in manly colours:
All the yarns were in skeins and so I have been winding endless skeins into cakes .... and then the next project I have in mind also has yarn that needs winding into cakes as well. I sit and and spin it ten minutes at a time at a good clip and then move on.
|silk yak waiting to be caked...|
Meanwhile, I thought I would load up the Woolhouse with cottolin for 12 shaft turned twill towels. I had a BIG two pound cone cone of Nordic Studios cottolin from before it was sold and moved south to Texas. No problem right?
At the very section of warp to be wound, and the very last warp end.... this happened!
I ran out with one yard to go! Knowing this end would be loom waste, I tied on a section of 8/2 cotton and called it a day.
Now I'm looking at an endless sea of white heddles and white warp....
I print out the threading and then use post it notes to isolate the section I'm working on. I ended up with 12 ends left over so now I'm going back and double checking where I goofed. *sigh*
Here's a table load of half finished / half started fun.... the black cone and grey in front are for the next men's scarf project (to be discussed at another time). The cotton cone pile is a recent yarn order and some of it is weft for the cottolin towels plus the next towel project. I'm testing out colours together.... to see if they grow on me.
The cloth on the serger is the recent gothic runner. You'll see a show and tell with it eventually. Right now, its cooling its jets for a spell. Well, that's what's left of the project... Its a story that's ends sadly and involves scissors. The first runner went well with a fine blue 16/2 cotton weft went just fine. It was planned to have a twisted fringe. The second runner I used a fine cream bamboo weft and I got about six inches woven and left it for the night. The next day the edge threads on the right hand side started breaking like crazy! I couldn't find any reason for it. Then they simply loosened off . I was mending and repairing and finally about to sit and start weaving when the left hand side simply lost tension too! Next thing I knew, scissors appeared in my hands and the problem went away. I reasoned my time was more important ... and ... It wasn't fun anymore.
Its a good thing to keep in mind.... its all supposed to be fun!