Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2022

Olives & Eggplant Scarves

Back some weeks ago (okay months!) I had big plans to weave up the first draft below, and no, I don't know where it came from. I just squirrelled it away.

I had planned a gradation of four colours: olive, old gold, red purple and eggplant 8/2 tencel, 24 epi, and as you can imagine the warp winding took some time.   The threading was straight forward and I even got a small sample done.

Next morning I discovered my computer had done an upgrade. Not just the latest security updates, but a whole new operating system called Big Sur.  POOF, all my Fiberworks files vanished, along with 6000 pictures of all my weaving and family pictures.  ðŸ¥º  The pictures were in a program that Apple no longer supports so it axed them. 🪓

I have a two terabyte back up drive and my sample / paper records and also actual photographs so I can recover much of what was lost if the back up drive thing doesn't cooperate.   Right now, I'm considering a whole new computer and so will recover to that one in time.


So I had the threading and warp in place and a newly reloaded ( and off line) old Mac running  Fiberworks.   I went touring around Handweaving.net to find a substitute draft and found this one. I added to it it to reflect what I already had on the loom. Imagine more points in between edges!


Some issues kept me from treadling (toe infection and shoulder strain) but I completed them in December.   Snow, cold snaps and dark gloomy days made getting a decent picture pretty much impossible.

I hope you find these worth the wait!

7 3/4 inches wide by 72 inches long. I used the dominant colour from either edge as weft. My personal favourite is the green.



As you can see we have no snow now and the garden looks very early spring like!

🌷 Flowers and Stars 🌟 




Excuse the sunspot, but it was a nice picture even so. Below you can see the colour shift. 



Now the second scarf....


This shows the reverse of the pattern.






2 comments:

cine said...

You have a very good taste to mix your colors. I love both your scarves. wonderful

Kelly Paul said...

I am very happy to see pictures of your weaving again and that you are feeling better. I've only been weaving about a year and I find your work inspirational and aspirational. Looking forward to see more!